Monday, October 31, 2011

Dress Up at the Rose Theatre

We had our first costume fitting and make-up session at the Rose Theatre.

First, before I start getting all giggly about the costumes and set, let me mention the theatre. This place is a true little jewel. To think, there used to be more of these great movie palaces throughout the US. It is a shame so many went into disrepair or were simply torn down.

The Rose has had a colorful history.

"One of the few buildings in the Midwest possessing a unique combination of Moorish and Classical architecture, The Rose is one of the last grand movie palaces left from the days when going to the theater meant escaping into an opulent dreamland.

First known as the Riviera ... (i)ts enchanting decor included tapestries and Oriental rugs, sculptures and friezes, an intricate mosaic floor, fountains and perfect acoustics from front row to back. The walls of the auditorium were decorated with Mediterranean-style murals and balconies, while the ceiling brimmed with electric stars and clouds. Audiences filled the 2,776 seats to watch an entire evening’s entertainment that included fully-orchestrated song and dance acts, vaudeville skits and a feature film." (www.rosetheater.org)

After the stock market crash, The Riviera was sold and a miniature golf course was added inside the lobby. Later the seats were removed and a bowling alley added. It was used again as a movie theatre until slated for demolition in 1981.

Saved from destruction and renovated, today the theatre is a perfect fit for a storybook opera such as Hansel & Gretel and the Director, Henry MacCarthy, is making great use of the space, including the electric stars embedded in the theatre ceiling. I've been on stage or in rehearsal every time the star lights go on so you'll have to be satisfied with a photo of the clouds on the lobby ceiling. I know, not as amazing, but if you're really bummed out, there is a solution. See the show.


Now, let the giggling commence. The set is exactly as I imagined it based off of James Othuse's, Production Designer, sketches.

I felt like I was standing my childhood board game Candy Land! The rest of the set is just as charming.

The costumes are great and as I had been hoping, I'm in a pair of lederhosen. They are longer than traditional lederhosen, but I'd rather have long shorts than short shorts. I've seen one too many pictures of ill-fitting lederhosen. Use your imagination. I don't post those sort of pictures here.

1 comment:

FanaticoUm said...

Dear Anonymous Mezzo,

I have just found your interesting blog and I am now following it.
As we have common interests, I invite you to visit and follow our blog “Fanaticos da Opera / Opera Fanatics” that is also written in English (the “possible” English):
http://www.fanaticosdaopera.blogspot.com/
Regards from Portugal