Thursday, October 12, 2006

Chorus Girl

I had a little boost to my ego a few days ago when I received a contract in the mail for three productions as chorus. Part of me knows that the elitists would look at this thinking, "Oh honey, how quaint, how sweet," but I am full of validation for the hard work I have been doing this past year. You see, last year I auditioned and didn't receive a spot, this year I was offered three. This is a cut and dry, crystal clear example of my progress. It is always to difficult to quantify progress in singing. I can get words of encouragement from my teacher, those close to me and even myself but something like this is an unbiased opinion. On the flip side, not receiving any one contract is not a measure of progress or lack there of; try that on for size.

More specifically on the chorus girl contract, I will be getting experience singing Russian and more experience singing on stage. This will be my first time on a professional stage and it is exciting to think of what I will learn.

I did end up having to turn down one of the three productions due to a prior commitment singing another job out of town. Aside from knowing it was the right thing to do; I have a feeling it was just supposed to be that way.

No comments: