Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Subs

Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm talking about substitute singers.

A year ago I had the luxury of having a full time church choir job. Often a church will hire four singers to fill out and lead the various sections of their choir: alto, soprano, tenor and bass. The church is guaranteed that they will always have one singer of each voice type present, and someone that can sight read the music well to help lead the rest of the choir. It was consistent and reliable work. I loved knowing that I would be getting paid to sing every week. I have enjoyed working as a church soloist or section leader for several reasons. 1) It is a bit of a shake up from my regular musical study. 2) I'm exposed to great concert repertoire for my voice, something I wouldn't necessarily seek out on my own. 3) I've had some great performance opportunities arise from having a church job. 4) Weddings pay. Funerals pay. Weddings are infinitely more joyful, but begin able to give someone comfort through music has it's own special reward. 5) The people can be really sweet.

Since moving to the Bay Area, I've started back at square one again. I don't know the musical community yet, and from my other moves, it always seems that it takes 2-3 years to start finding a spot in the local musical neighborhood.

I have had a few jobs as a "sub" or "substitute singer" in the last several months. The latest opportunity came as quite a surprise! I am currently in San Diego singing with San Diego Opera chorus for Roméo et Juliette (It is going to be simply beautiful, the cast is tremendous). I previously had a church job here in town, before I moved. While there, I performed Duraflé's Requiem and the beautiful alto solo, Pie Jesu. This past Sunday morning, I received a call last minute to sing as a "sub" for none other than Duraflé's Requiem and Pie Jesu. Luckily I had the music with me so I was able to work through it that morning.

I'd have to say that Pie Jesu is quite an exercise in breath control. But seeing as how my life tends to have themes, it was perfect timing for me dig down deep and trust my new found breath support would be there in a performance.

The other theme of late has been being prepared for last minute opportunities, of course!

No comments: