Sunday, November 05, 2006

chautauqua

I almost cried. What a relief it was to get one acceptance for an audition after all of the rejections. At least this was a company I remember having a good audition for last year, and sending a CD to this year. This implies two things: 1) From their perspective, my audition last year must have been decent 2) My CD must have shown progress or promise. The first acceptance out of the way, I can make way in my head for what is actually happening.

I picked up rental scores for the two operas I will be a chorus member in this winter. Boris will be a great experience and I ordered a recording with both the original and the traditionally performed version of the opera. I began working on the Messiah for my April job. I am quite tickled that the conductor has decided to keep the 1750's version of the alto singing "But who may abide". I remember hearing the bass from last year's production here in town and absolutely drooling over it. I have decided to add this to my list for an upcoming competition in January. I have to fill out the list with a piece for orchestra or chamber orchestra/mezzo and an operatic aria one of the two having been written after 1925. There are a few things floating around in my head and I'll have it more settled by next week. I am toying with some Mahler songs or Barber's "Dover". If I go with the Mahler, Nina's Aria would be my aria choice and if Barber makes its way onto my list, Strauss's Composer's aria.

I do love the planning and the preparation.

No comments: